VRI Working Papers
John Ameriks, Andrew Caplin, Minjoon Lee, Matthew D. Shapiro, and Christopher Tonetti. 2014.
The Wealth of Wealthholders.
- Account Sequence Example. A sequence of screen shots from the wealth section of the survey using a hypothetical respondent.
- Definition of Concepts. Definition of concepts used for the VRI and how we measure them for the HRS and SCF for the comparisons between surveys.
- Detailed Comparisons: VRI, HRS and SCF. Comparison of the surveys along various dimensions, including wealth, income and demographics.
- Estimating Retirement/Wealth Relationship. Details about estimating the relationship between expected retirement time and annuitizable financial wealth.
John Ameriks, Joseph Briggs, Andrew Caplin, Matthew D. Shapiro, and Christopher Tonetti. 2015. Long-Term Care Utility and Late in Life Saving.
John Ameriks, Joseph Briggs, Andrew Caplin, Matthew D. Shapiro, and Christopher Tonetti. 2016. Late-in-Life Risks and the Under-Insurance Puzzle.
John Ameriks, Gábor Kézdi, Minjoon Lee, and Matthew D. Shapiro. 2016. Heterogeneity in Expectations, Risk Tolerance, and Household Stock Shares. (Appendix.)
VRI Technical Reports
John Ameriks, Joseph Briggs, Andrew Caplin, Matthew D. Shapiro, and Christopher Tonetti. 2016. Long-term Care Model. Vanguard Research Initiative Technical Report
John Ameriks, Joseph Briggs, Andrew Caplin, Matthew D. Shapiro, and Christopher Tonetti. 2016. Long-term Care Strategic Survey Questions. Vanguard Research Initiative Technical Report
Vanguard Research Initiative. Survey 1. Wealth and portfolios. (August 2013).
Vanguard Research Initiative. Survey 2. Annuity and long-term care. (January 2014).
Vanguard Research Initiative. Survey 3. Family, bequests, and transfers. (August 2014).
Vanguard Research Initiative. Survey 4. Work and transition to retirement. (October 2015).
Vanguard Research Initiative. Survey 5. Wealth and portfolios. (August 2016).
See Survey for more information.
Reports and Documentation
John Ameriks, Andrew Caplin, Minjoon Lee, Matthew D. Shapiro, and Christopher Tonetti. 2014. Vanguard Research Initiative: Survey 1 Documentation and Tabulations.
Sections of Report:
- Survey Development and Testing. Catalogue of steps taken prior to and during the Pilot survey to attain information relevant to Sample Survey 1.
- Sample Design. Discussion of the screens and criterion used in selection of the sample, including relevant results tables.
- Invitations and Survey Mechanisms. Descriptions of invitations goals, procedures, incentive mechanisms, and survey administration.
- Response Analyses. Summaries of response rates analyzed over time, across types, and analysis of break-off during the survey.
- Detailed Sample Characteristics. Detailed tabulations on demographics, income, financial wealth, etc.
- Survey versus Administrative Data: Analysis by Account-type and Regression Analysis. Detailed comparison of survey and administrative wealth measures for subsets of assets and regression analysis for discrepancies between the two measures.
- Use of Correction Mechanism: Regression Analysis. Estimating a linear probability model for making a correction to balances.
- Alternative Approaches to Measuring Stock Share: Account-by-account versus Overall. Comparing distribution of stock share conditional on the type of question respondents answered.